Fire prompts business move
A fire which burnt out shops in Umina has led two of the people affected to buy their own fire protection business.
Joel Neich, 23, said a fire that burnt down the Umina Repco store and surrounding shops left him and his business partner Mr Adrian Morgan out of work for more than three months, due to inadequate fire protection systems.
"It's scary how many shops we go into which have fire equipment that is older than we are," Mr Morgan said.
"It can be a real shock you how little people think of fire safety and it's generally not until they have a bad experience that they see the light."
Mr Neich and Mr Morgan recently took over Coastal Fire Services.
The two Peninsula residents are looking to spread their message of fire safety.
"We've spoken to a lot of small business owners and the effects on employers and employees losing work for months on end can bankrupt people," Mr Neich said.
Coastal Fire Service recommends residents and business owners to install and check fire alarms, leave heaters off at night when asleep, create a family evacuation plan and remove any obstructions from exits.
Add a comment
Comments entered here may be published in the Forum section of Peninsula News.
Name, full residential address and daytime telephone number are required, but
only name and suburb will be published. This is a moderated forum: Contributions
will not appear here until they are approved by the editor. Contributions may appear in an edited form.